Aaron W. Brooks
Aaron Brooks is a member of the firm and works in the Corporate & Business Group. His practice area focuses on technology-based transactions and licensing, trademarks, copyrights and privacy law. Through the years, Aaron has negotiated and closed substantial and complex transactions, counseled executive management for technology-based companies and information systems departments, and managed all aspects of HIPAA privacy and security compliance for several medical facilities, including a major metropolitan hospital. He frequently delivers or participates in seminars on these topics and has written several articles as well.
Aaron represents U.S.-based and international companies in connection with enforcement, protection and procurement of intellectual property rights, as well as the negotiation of sales and licensing of such technological and intellectual property rights.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Winnebago County Bar Association
- Ogle County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- “Leading Lawyer”, Illinois
- "Super Lawyers: Rising Star", Illinois
- Illinois State Bar Association, Lincoln Award Winner
- U.S. Navy, Nuclear Power Program (1987-1993)
- Holmstrom & Kennedy, P.C. (1996-Present)
- "The Effect of HIPAA's Privacy Regulations on Employers and Group Health Plans," 91 Ill. Bar J. 193 (April 2003);
- "The Law of Privacy: Past, Present and Future," ISBA Intellectual Property Newsletter, Vol. 42, No. 1 (October 2002);
- "The Gramm-Leach Bliley Act: Does it Apply to You?" (Co-authored with Megan G. Heeg), 90 Ill. Bar J. 412 (August 2002);
- "From Ink to e-sign: A Conceptual History of the Electronic Signature," ISBA Intellectual Property Newsletter, Vol. 40, No. 2 (February 2001);
- "A Brief History of the UDRP," ISBA Intellectual Property Newsletter, Vol. 39, No. 3 (May 2000);
- "Domain-Marks: The Cautious Interplay Between Trademarks and Internet Domain Names," 74 Ill. Bar. J. 88 (February 2000) (winner, First Place Lincoln Writing Award);
- "The Business Attorney's Guide to Trade Names," 87 Ill. Bar. J. 526 (October 1999) (winner, Third Place Lincoln Writing Award);
- "How to Protect Your Client's Web Site," 86 Ill. Bar J. 70 (February 1998) (winner, First Place Lincoln Writing Award);
- "The Trustee's Balancing Act: Impartiality When a Beneficiary Goes Bad," 86 Ill. Bar J. 22 (January 1998);
- "Chuck the Box: Proposed Entity Classification Regulations Bring Bad Policy," 70 Tax Notes 1669 (1996).